Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aviva

[GUIDE] Fraps and Movie Maker

2 posts in this topic

Fraps is an easy-to-use, lightweight software that enables you to record videos on your PC. In the context of AsCabal, it is especially useful for recording videos of hackers, abusers, and other moments you'd like to capture. Read on to find out how to use this program!

1. Download a full, unlimited version of Fraps here, then install.

image.jpg

2. This is what the Fraps program window looks like. On the General tab, check the options "Start Fraps minimized" and "Run Fraps when Windows starts".

image.jpg

3. On the FPS tab, choose where to display the overlay. You can even choose to hide it, but I don't because the overlay is an indicator of whether the Fraps program is running and recording.

image.jpg

As you can see, I chose to place my overlay on the lower right corner. It is yellow when Fraps is active but not recording. It turns red when I'm recording a video.

image.jpg

4. Finally, on the Movies tab, you can set the video capture hotkey or leave it as it is to the default F9 button. This means that when you want to record a video, you just have to press F9. To stop recording, press F9 again. On this tab, you can also tweak other settings. I set mine to 60 fps, full-size, for the best quality.

image.jpg

5. Fraps produces very large videos, though, with file sizes reaching 5GB for just a few minutes of recording. How do we reduce file size dramatically while still keeping the quality? Easy, just download Windows Movie Maker here, then install.

image.jpg

6. This is what the Movie Maker program window looks like. First, click "Add videos and photos", then look for your Fraps video (default location C:\Fraps\Movies) and choose it.

image.jpg

7. Once you have opened the video, you can trim it under the Edit tab to cut out unnecessary footage. You can also leave it as it is.

image.jpg

8. The most important thing to do is go to the Home tab, click "Save movie" on the far right, then choose "For high-definition display". This will ensure that your video will be available in HD. Not only will the video be crystal clear, it would also look great on an HD TV (yes, I've tried). Also, converting the video to mp4 via Movie Maker greatly reduces file size. For example, a raw 30-sec Fraps video file is ~1GB. If you convert it, file size becomes just ~20MB.

image.jpg

9. The final step is to upload the video to a streaming site, preferably YouTube because it's popular and easily accessible with tweakable settings.

image.jpg

Nice TUT ma'am :thumbsu: